Assistant Technical Head-avocado
Assistant Technical Head-avocado 1 PositionEmploi Recruitment
Our client is a leading horticultural production and marketing company, specializing in Fruits, mainly avocado, mango and passion fruits. They envision being the leading dealer and exporter of organic certified Fruits in Kenya. It prides itself on quality and reliability, positioning as a supplier of choice in the horticulture export sector.
LOCATION: Nakuru or Eldoret (open to be agreed upon), with frequent travel to the region
SUPERVISOR/MANAGER: Technical Director or Designated Authority
PURPOSE OF JOB/Position
The purpose of the position is to provide technical and managerial oversight on the Fruits value chains (mainly avocado) from farm to post-harvesting and pack-house processing. Reporting to the Technical Manager (or Technical Director in absence of Technical Manager), the Assistant Technical Manager will be overall responsible over one of the focal regions where the company is (plans) to focus (Mt. Kenya, South Rif and / or North Rift Regions).
Under the direct supervision of the Technical Manager and/or Technical Director, the position will be overall responsible for one of the designated regions and lead in the identification of out-growers (farmers and farmer groups) and management of the value chain, including farm and post-harvesting management and compliance. Specifically, s/he will undertake the following roles and responsibilities;
1. Support and assist in developing an overall strategy for integration of farmers and farmer groups in company production and supply chain in line with agreed targets;
2. Be the lead focal point person in implementation of the farmer integration in the designated region of oversight; 3. Develop and oversee implementation of training programs for farmers to ensure new farmers are well inducted and trained in agronomic practices for avocado (and other value chain products as may be considered from time to time);
4. Lead in the identification and mobilization of farmers to join the Company’s production and supply chain in the designated region;
5. Provide technical support, leadership, and supervision to the technical and production team under your oversight to ensure agreed on work plans are implemented in an effective and efficient manner;
6. Keep an updated record on the actual status on farmer and farmer group forecasted volume and produce status, providing a clear forecast on quantities and quality;
7. In close consultation with operations on market forecast, develop harvesting program and coordinate all harvesting activities to ensure timely harvesting and delivery of products;
8. Ensure proper harvesting practices are maintained at farm level, based on acceptable handling practices.
9. In close coordination with the Compliance Officer, oversee and ensure implementation of Standard and compliance in designated region,
10. Undertake any other assignment related to the business as may be assigned from time to time;
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Degree in Horticulture, agriculture, agronomy or related discipline / field
Diploma plus two year of additional practical experience is acceptable
At least 3 years’ practical experience in the avocado value chain is required. Technical and practical expertise in avocado is the production and post-harvest management is key and obligatory for this position.
Practical experience and management mango and passion fruit production and post-harvest are desirable.
Current network with farmer and farmer groups in related value chains is a distinct advantage;
At least 3 years’ practical managerial experience, with strong skills in planning, implementation and team leadership is required;
Good knowledge and experience in market quality standards, specifically related to avocado, mango and passion fruits;
Good computer skills with advanced Microsoft Office skills (Word and Excel,)
Core values and Required skills:
Good planning skills
Strong interpersonal management skills
Organized and able to meet tight deadlines
Highly reliable, dependable and trustworthy personality,
Client-oriented, demonstrating proactive communication
Team player and good team management skills
Performance appraisal shall be done annually by the end of the calendar year based on clear set guidelines and company policies based on agreed-on objectives. A mid-term Performance review shall be held by mid-year to review progress.