Head, Retail Risk Operations & Fraud Risk Management (africa, Middle East & Europe) At Standard Chartered Bank Kenya
Head, Retail Risk Operations & Fraud Risk Management (africa, Middle East & Europe) At Standard Chartered Bank Kenya 1 PositionStandard Chartered Bank Kenya
Standard Chartered Kenya, whose official name is Standard Chartered Bank Kenya Limited, but is sometimes referred to as Stanchart Kenya, is a commercial bank in Kenya.
The Role Responsibilities
- Support and provide inputs to Risk Operations head for developing operational model and shaping strategic agenda for Credit Initiation and Fraud risk management
- Implement the operating model and strategic direction for the region for Credit Initiation and Fraud risk management to best support process efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Work with RCO Retail Clients Risk to design and implement the Fraud Risk strategy and infrastructure for the region for channels and products within Retail Clients segment.
- Ownership of all aspects of the Risk Operations function for ALL countries across the region covering strategy, TOM, capacity planning, policy implementation, DOIs and assurance
- Responsible to ensure proper monitoring and control of risks, efficiency, effectiveness and quality of Risk operations in the countries of responsibility
- Support and drive initiatives on
- Standardization of activities
- Automation of processes / activities
- Hubbing and centralisation of activities
- Manage the post-launch activities (e.g. training) to ensure that policy/process improvements or initiatives are properly implemented, consistently interpreted, understood and applied for the regions
- Prevent occurrences of near misses or operational losses arising from ineffective credit processes or controls in the regions
- Direct oversight of Risk Operations to ensure proper management of in-country and regional processes.
- Provide assurance that the DOI and Role and Responsibilities implemented are being effectively executed and adhered to in the regions.
- Work closely with the hubs to ensure that end to end processes work seamlessly, efficiently and effectively for the regions. Oversight of the Credit Initiation unit in GBS
- Optimise operating efficiency while balancing the effectiveness of decision making within the Risk Operations function.
- Ensure the Fraud Risk Management framework is effectively embedded and communicated
- Ensure the cost budget in Risk Operations is based on robust capacity plans and is delivered through a rigorous cost management discipline.
- Identify, coordinate, and drive productivity projects in the Region.
- Ensure that credit origination decisions are executed in line with the delegated authority while adhering to the process standards defined.
- Lead and drive standardisation, automation and consolidation through re-engineering and process improvement initiatives in the region for Credit Initiation and Fraud Risk control.
- Develop and maintain fraud management capabilities, skills and infrastructure in the region that are in compliance with both internal policies and external regulations and are responsive to fraud attacks.
- Manage capacity planning across countries. Develop and maintain robust and scalable Credit Initiation processes to execute risk management policies and strategies.
- Leverage and build credit assessment infrastructure capability to optimize process efficiency.
- Act quickly and decisively when any risk and control weakness becomes apparent and ensure they are addressed within an appropriate timeframe and escalated through the relevant committees.
- Implement the Operational Risk Framework in Risk Operations and monitor the operational risk metrics for the region to identify potential control weaknesses.
- Identify and track Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to support strategy testing environment and daily operations.
People and Talent
- Support the identification, engagement and retention of high quality CI and FRM professionals at a country level.
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
- Ensure that holders of all critical roles are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values within the Risk Operations team. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Encourage and promote an active training and learning environment to facilitate excellence in risk management, risk awareness, behaviours and accountability.
- Identify and share industry best practices and work with the businesses for their feasibility and implementation.
- Develop a collaborative relationship with regulators, peer banks and fraud risk industry forums to help detect and mitigate fraud.
- Ensure monitoring of through the door application quality by country Risk Operations teams and timely feedback to in-country stakeholders for optimizing risk and reward relationship.
- Ensure all CI and FRM policies and procedures in the countries for the Region comply with Group Policies and Standards. Ensure proper and updated documentation in place for in-country policies and procedures.
- Provide oversight across the regional Risk Operations team, ensuring compliance with the highest standards of regulatory and business conduct and compliance practices as defined by internal and external requirements.
- Embed the Group’s values and code of conduct in Risk Operations to ensure that adherence with the highest standards of ethics, and compliance with relevant policies, processes and regulations among employees forms part of the culture.
- Accountable for satisfactory closure of issues / gaps arising from Internal Audits, peer reviews and regulatory reviews for the countries in the Region.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, and applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead Risk Operations in the AME region to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; and The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Internal stakeholders
- RCO Retail clients, CCHs, CCROs, CCO, Senior Risk Officers (B2/B3)
- Regional / Country Business Heads and Product Head, CPBB (B2/B3)
- CCIB Heads(B2/B3)
- CPBB Heads (B3); Credit Policy heads (B3); Legal (B3); Business COO teams (B3)
- Country Collections Heads
- Financial Crime Risk
- Relevant members of Risk Operations management team and the GBS team
- HR & L&TD team
- Operations, L&C and Client Experience Management units for the countries in the region
- External stakeholders
- Auditors and Regulators
- Associations (Visa, MasterCard, Amex and other Regional / Local forums), Credit Bureaus and peer Banks
- Law Enforcement agencies
- Suppliers, vendors and consultants
Business Strategy and Model: Good working knowledge of the industry with extensive work experience of which at least 10 years in Risk Management.
- Broad understanding of banking information management infrastructure and operational processes
- Ability to provide strategic direction to the function
- Strong leadership qualities, with the ability to motivate and lead multi-country teams in changing & challenging situations
- Strong analytical and dispute resolution skills, and the ability to command the respect of a cross functional set of professionals at a senior level
- Ability to make independent decisions with a strong sense of empowerment
- Skills in project management and process improvement
Strong written / oral communication and influencing skills. Ability to create effective work relationships within and across functions & borders
Risk Management and Control:
Good working knowledge of risk management, specifically applicable to Risk Operations
Governance, Oversight and Controls:
Strong leadership capabilities and management skills, with the ability to deliver effective controls within Risk Operations through both directly managed and virtual team
Regulatory Framework and Requirements:
Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the firm operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role of Head, Risk Operations