Programme Policy Officer, Nob -(ftma – Markets & Logistics) At World Food Programme (wfp)
Programme Policy Officer, Nob -(ftma – Markets & Logistics) At World Food Programme (wfp) 1 PositionWorld Food Programme (WFP)
The World Food Programme is the food assistance branch of the United Nations and the world’s largest humanitarian organization addressing hunger and promoting food security.
These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RBs) or Country Offices (COs) and job holders report to a more senior Programme Policy Officer.
Job holders operate with a high degree of independence, manage more junior staff to ensure that programme and policy objectives are achieved in full. They are usually involved in a wide variety of programme and policy activities and analytical work, some of which may be of a considerable complexity. At this level job holders are expected to contribute to performance improvement.
WFP has joined a consortium of public and private institutions, known as the Farm to Market Alliance (FtMA), to help smallholder farmers unlock new opportunities. The Alliance works by supporting smallholder farmers to move from subsistence farming to market-oriented agriculture by connecting demand for their crops with commercial markets, improving their access to agricultural inputs and finance, and connecting them to post-harvest solutions, with the aim of boosting incomes and building long-term resilience.
In Kenya, 70,000 farmers in 13 geographical areas are being linked to off-take markets with forward delivery contracts, offered improved input packages linked to crop insurance available on cash or credit by partnering financial institutions. FtMA works through a complex partnership structure in its four thematic pathways (access to markets, input, finance, post-harvest and technologies) with a growing field force; in addition to digitizing FtMA operations.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
University degree in one or more of the following disciplines: Agriculture, Agriculture economics or a field relevant to agricultural value chain management. An advanced degree in the relevant field is an added advantage.
At least eight (8) years of experience in agribusiness, either in private sector enterprises or in non-profit value chain related projects, with a strong exposure to private sector segment. A Master’s degree with 5 years relevant work experience at a decision-making level is acceptable.
Fluency (level C) in English language and the duty station’s language, if different.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Overall, establish, manage, and sustain private and public partnerships in Post Harvest Handling Services (PHHS), Markets and Logistics’ domain.
- Spearhead fine-tuning and integration of Farmer Service Centres anchor model in PHHS, Markets and Logistics spheres with a keen focus on sustainability and scalability elements.
- Create sustainable and scalable first, middle and last mile logistical solutions for all ecosystem players particularly the Small Holder Farmers (SHFs).
- Set up and operationalize sustainable off-taker led crop produce aggregation systems.
- Provide digitization support of Post Harvest Handling Services (PHHS), Markets and Logistics operations including online platforms.
- Scout, design, implement and measure impactful e-extension models/platforms for delivery of information and knowledge to SHFs.
- Lead in designing and refining farmer centric approaches suitable to show impact and generate value to private sector players leading to increased investment.
- Liaise and be the link between FtMA and other WFP Outcomes/units on matters related to PHHS, Markets and Logistics
- Conduct regular field monitoring and proactive troubleshooting visits to FtMA’s farmer service centres (FSCs).
- Provide advisory and knowledge support to co-operating partners’ field staff through the designated Project Managers.
- Attend and represent FtMA-Kenya in stakeholder meetings/forums as directed
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to set up scalable and sustainable agri-related ecosystem for first, middle and last mile logistical solutions with a bias on SHFs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of establishing, mentoring and coaching FSCs into successful and profitable business entities particularly in aggregation and markets.
- Demonstrated knowledge of PHHS, Markets and Logistics spheres with a strong sense of how to deliver sustainable success in these sectors through FSCs.
- Proven success in building up scalable and sustainable off-taker led crop aggregation business models.
- Ability to work in a team and establish effective working relations with result-oriented private sector partners as well as internal WFP clients.
- Solid operational skills including creative thinking, problem solving and project management skills.
- Good analytical skills; resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment, tact, and negotiating skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Ability to frequently travel within the country.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT
- Developed an executable strategy on markets, logistics and Post-harvest loss reduction.
- Reduced Post Harvest Loss in all FtMA intervention value chains.
- Developed market linkages in al FtMA value chains.
- Enhanced efficiency (logistics) at first and last mile
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- WFP is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge fees from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process. Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
- Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.