Senior Campaign Strategist – Urban Justice At Greenpeace
Senior Campaign Strategist – Urban Justice At Greenpeace 1 PositionEmploi Recruitment
In developing our campaign strategies and policies we take great care to reflect our fundamental respect for democratic principles while seeking out solutions that will promote global social equity. Our vision is an Africa where people live in harmony with nature in a peaceful state of environmental and social justice. Our mission is to work with others to foster environmental consciousness whereby Africa’s people seek social and economic prosperity in ways that protect the environment for the benefit of humans, the planet, and the future. Our core values are reflected in all our environmental work, worldwide. These are: We ‘bear witness’ to environmental destruction in a peaceful, non-violent manner; We use non-violent confrontation to raise the level and quality of public debate; In exposing threats to the environment and finding solutions we have no permanent allies or adversaries; We ensure our financial independence from political or commercial interests; We seek solutions for, and promote open, informed debate about society’s environmental choices. In developing our campaign strategies and policies we take great care to reflect our fundamental respect for democratic principles and to seek solutions that will promote global social equity.
Are you looking to support others in developing new and innovative campaigns on cities and climate?
Greenpeace International is looking for two Senior Campaign Strategists to support our Urban Justice work, which aims at collaborating with vibrant urban movements in the Global South in order to connect social justice issues with the climate emergency discussions at the city level to enable/support a critical mass of people who can push for bigger climate justice ambition on local and national level.
Reporting to the Global Campaign Lead, you will actively contribute to advancing the overall Urban Justice goals, supporting our National and Regional office teams in developing and delivering high quality, strategic and impactful projects.
Your role will be to provide high-level expertise, as well as take the lead in creating opportunities for skill and information sharing between our NRO’s and external stakeholders. Ensuring the team collaborates, shares best practices, lessons learnt and has space to bring innovative ideas to the projects, will be an essential part of your role.
The two Strategists will also play a key role in developing an internal knowledge hub for Urban Justice issues and in building and nurturing a community of Urban Justice practitioners across the global organization.
This is an opportunity for a 12 months temporary contract, or for a secondment (details to be discussed and confirmed), either from another Greenpeace organization, or potentially from a like-minded organization, especially for candidates who have lived experience in the Global South.
- Substantial demonstrable experience as a campaigner in the Global South, with a track record of planning, implementing and evaluating successful projects about environmental and/or social issues
- Significant professional experience in fields related to Urban Justice (such as right and access to the city, urban planning, transportation, housing, urban climate change, social inequalities in cities, waste, energy, green spaces, informal economy, etc), with a strong preference for that experience being within a public advocacy or campaigning context
- Effective oral and written communicator, with strong influencing, negotiating, presentation and facilitation skills
- Team player with excellent relationship buildings skills
- Work proficiency in written and spoken English
- Flexible, proactive and organised, with an energetic approach to problem solving
- Experience working in multicultural environments with senior staff and teams, across borders and timezones
- Demonstrable interest in and alignment with Greenpeace’s values and mission to protect people and planet
Additional skills and experiences:
Note: Successful candidates will meet the necessary criteria above and possess 4-5 of the below skills or experience.
- Work proficiency in a second language, preferably Arabic, Bahasa, French, Spanish or Turkish
- Strong connections with social movements, urban collectives and relevant groups and networks in the Global South
- Experience in building, nurturing and managing vivid and solid communities of practice, especially through creating and managing appropriate and inspiring internal communication tools and facilitating learning and exchange spaces
- Experience building, managing and promoting the use of knowledge libraries, with a focus on collecting, analyzing and sharing research, materials, case studies and best practice examples for informing campaign strategy
- Experience in identifying and coordinating research, investigation and science needs
- Experience in the development and implementation of MEL (monitoring, evaluation and learning) tools and frameworks
- Experience in building and/or managing external partnerships and networks of collaboration with relevant stakeholders
- Understanding of national and regional media and social media landscapes in one or more Global South geographies
- Experience in or understanding of use of data and social media insights to inform campaigning and advocacy strategies