Social Protection Coordinator Adam Smith International
Social Protection Coordinator Adam Smith International 1 PositionEmploi Recruitment
About the job
Position: Social Protection Expert - TIPF
With relative political and security gains in recent years in Somalia, economic recovery, growth and resilience have been prioritised in Somalia’s National Development Plan (2017-2019). This has also been the emphasis in the New Partnership for Somalia (NPS), which sets out how Somalia and the international community will work together to meet Somalia’s most pressing political, security and economic needs and aspirations. In alignment with this vision, the European Union Delegation (EUDEL) in Somalia recently approved the Inclusive Local & Economic Development (ILED) Programme with € 83 million funding.
Overall Objective of the ILED Programme
ILED has a territorially integrated approach to programming, so as to be able to combine in an integrated way the different instruments (political, security, operations and financial) and sectoral strategies and investments focusing on targeted corridors. This approach is to take into consideration the different contexts along the four corridors, and the need for prioritising and using different approaches in the different contexts. Based on rigorous analysis and consultation with wider Somali stakeholders, four corridors were selected for ILED to be implemented:
- Juba River Corridor
- Shabelle River Corridor
- Central-North Corridor
- Somaliland Corridor
Results of the ILED Programme
The ILED Programme has three specific reinforcing results which will be prioritised differently in different contexts in Somalia/Somaliland:
Result 1: Stabilization and Local Governance: Increase the reach and legitimacy of local and municipal authorities, and their capacity to provide services; promote reconciliation and peace building, including by addressing drivers of conflict and deliver peace dividends;
Result 2: Inclusive and Sustainable Economic Growth: Revitalize and expand the local economy with a focus on livelihood enhancement, job creation, and broad-based inclusive growth, with a particular focus on opportunities for women and youth.
Result 3: Protection of the Most Vulnerable: Provide social safety nets to vulnerable people to contribute to strengthening their recovery and resilience
Social Protection Component
The Social Protection Component of ILED is the largest component in the Programme due to the 27 million SAGAL project implemented by the Cash Consortium, with Concern Worldwide as the lead agency. In tandem with the SAGAL project, the TIPF will provide technical assistance on social protection to the EU Delegation, the Social Safety Nets Donor Working group (SSN DWG) and the Government of Somalia. The services will include coordination of SSN DWG, analytical work on social protection and Real Time Learning. The TIPF project is to independently verify the impact, efficiency, and effectiveness of the Social Transfer project, and to advise the EUDEL and the DWG on whether adjustments in approaches need to be made. The Social Protection Team will provide Real Time Learning feedback to the EUDEL on how the interventions in the different corridors are supporting the priorities set out in the Social Protection Policy and Implementation Framework.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, this non-key expert is expected to undertake the following duties as outlined below:
- Support the EU Delegation and the Donor Working Group to coordinate effectively and efficiently towards developing common approaches and systems in social protection.
- Provide Secretariat function for meetings and communication, including support to the DWG Chair and Deputy Chair in accordance with the Terms of Reference.
- Organise and manage DWG meetings and other events with external partners.
- Support the EUDEL and donors to actively participate in coordination mechanisms established by the Government underpinning the NDP9 pillars and ILED programme objectives of peace, stabilization, local economic development resilience and durable solutions.
- Support the EU DEL to ensure consistency between the actions of SAGAL project and the Social Protection policy framework at National and Regional level.
- Coordinate with MoLSA FGS to roll out the Social Protection Implementation Framework in a systematic and coordinated manner.
- Support the DWG to develop a division of labour in terms of geographic location or financing of projects /activities as set out in the Social Protection Policy and the associated Implementation Framework.
- Establishment of a basic knowledge management system that is accessible to the EU Delegation.
- A master’s degree or equivalent in at least one of the following fields: Social Sciences, Economics, International Development, Public Policy, or related relevant disciplines.
- In lieu of a master’s degree the candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields: Social Sciences, Economics, International Development, Public Policy, or related relevant disciplines, combined with an additional 2 years of professional experience in the design and/or implementation of social protection programmes.
Professional Experience and Skills
- Demonstrated experience in working with the coordination mechanisms in the Somali context.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and supporting coordination mechanisms in the Somali contexts.
- A proven track record of supporting Government and donors in inter-sectoral coordination.
- Strong experience of social protection, the key principles, international good practice and debates, including awareness of evidence and those issues of importance for social protection.
- Extensive experience in learning-/evidence-based policy development and knowledge management.
- Ability to represent the programme at FGS and FMS levels on the topic of social protection as well as to engage with and coordinate key stakeholders’ involvement.
- Proven management skills and a competence in people management.
- Highly diplomatic and emotionally intelligent with strong English oral and written communication skills.
- A minimum of 8 years professional experience in socio-economic development policy and/or humanitarian policy development.
- Ideally at least 2 years of professional experience in the Somali context.
- Ideally at least 2 years of experience working or collaborating with bilateral and multilateral development partners.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing efforts to integrate cross-cutting themes into social protection interventions, i.e. climate resilience, gender, conflict sensitivity, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in communications and advocacy as part of building synergy and complementarity across multiple donor platforms and interventions.
Heard Enough? Interested in Applying?
For anyone interested, or if you know of strong candidates, please do send CVs with cover letters to Ali Sirad Ali.Sirad@adamsmithinternational.com (in cc here) copying email@example.com by COB 22nd February 2020. All candidate should ensure that they clearly indicate the position they are applying for in the email subject line
Vacancies in NGO, Community & Social DevtView and Apply
No featured Employer yet. Please check back later.